Friday, November 12, 2010

Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me!

                                                           
I should be thankful.  My eldest son says "excuse me" when he wants to get my attention.  He's just over 3.  It's polite, right?  The difficult thing is, when he says it, he demands eye contact.  It doesn't matter what I or my wife are doing, if he wants our attention, you can't just acknowledge it verbally.  You have to give him direct eye contact.  OK, sure, that is easy enough a lot of the time--but it means no matter what you are doing, whether it be the dishes, getting lunch ready, folding laundry, etc, you have to give eye contact. 
                                                    
Today I tried to challenge myself in getting a spiritual lesson out of it.  I thought about praying and how we ask God for things.  I started to wonder if maybe we were doing the "demand eye contact" bit to God, the whole time asking Him to look at us...really look.  I tried to think of a way to make the analogy make sense, but I couldn't.

I think it makes sense the other way around.  He really wants us to look at Him.  Try to make "eye" contact with Him.  To try and really think about what it means to pray to Him and go beyond the "thanks for the good day" kind of prayer.  There are a lot of daily distractions that occupy our time and distract us from going anywhere deep.  I wonder how we can get to that place where we "look God in the eyes"?

No comments:

Post a Comment